What are we doing in Oak Class this week?
w/c 2nd July 2018
We have sports day Monday morning and Transition morning for the rest of the school on Tuesday. We are looking forward to The Eden Project for the rest of the week.
Here is some information that you may find useful this year:
- Mrs Marucci and Mrs Gee are the Teaching assistants in Oak.
- Our PE days are Monday and Friday. Please ensure that your child has the correct PE kit on these days. Red polo shirt and black shorts (Black tracksuit bottoms for winter months).
- Your child will need a water bottle which they can access throughout the day. It is always helpful if it is labelled.
- Each child will have their own drawer to keep their belongings in e.g pencil case, reading books.
- When the children come into school in the morning, they have the opportunity to change their reading book when it is finished. The reading records will also be checked each week to see the frequency of reading and also the chance to pass on any messages. We expect children to read at least four times per week and we encourage pupils to read varied genre types and try new authors. Children can also write their own book, date and page into the diary if they have read independently. A reading journal also needs to be completed each week and handed in on Thursdays.
- Homework will be reading, spellings, reading journal and a piece of maths and literacy work to support class work. Homework will be given out on Wednesdays and collected in the following Wednesday.
- Reading records and reading journals need to be handed in every Thursday.
- Spellings will be given out on Fridays to be tested on the following Friday. They will have the opportunity to practice these each day in school and we hope at home as well.
- Please remember to fill in a form to let us know if somebody else is collecting your child or if they are able to make their own way home.
We hope that this information will help your child settle into Oak Class quickly and happily.
Thank you for your continued support.
Mr Charles Mrs Marucci Mrs Gee
Welcome back to Oak Class! We hope you have had a relaxing and refreshing Easter break.
We have an industrious and exciting term ahead.
Over the next few weeks, Oak Class will be revising for their SATs tests which take place on the week beginning the 8th May. Here are some top tips in the run up to SATs:
- Support your child with their homework,
- Reassure them and be positive – all we ask is they try their best.
- Practise questions from SATS revision books such as the CGP series or Rising Stars. (Select certain questions to do, rather than complete a whole paper in one go.)
- Ensure that your child reads daily and ask open-ended questions about their reading, checking comprehension and developing analysis skills.
- Practice times tables, basic operations and calculations.
- Practice knowledge of different word classes and grammar.
Most importantly, in the run up to SATs, it is vital that your child has early nights, fresh air and a good breakfast!
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!
Useful information for the term:
- PEwill be on a Thursday this term. Outdoor games will be Athletics, Rounders and Cricket this term.
- Swimmingwill be on a Wednesday this term.
Please encourage your child to take responsibility for organising and bringing in their own PE and Swimming kit on the correct days.
- Homework The children will be given homework on a Wednesday and this should be completed and returned on the following Tuesday or there may be times when the children are given longer to complete a larger piece of work. Homework activities may vary this term depending on the activities in class. Children are also expected to practise their times tables regularly every week and to read at least four times a week.