At Welland Primary School we understand that there are times when children will need extra support in school alongside academic support.
Owl Group operates in school to offer children the opportunity to receive this additional support in a relaxed and caring way – as part of a small group, on an individual basis, or both as necessary. It is run by Mrs Gee who has completed the Nuture Group Network Training.
Reasons why children might attend Owl Group
- Low self-esteem
- Family illness/break up/change of circumstances
- Friendship difficulties – keeping and making friends
- To develop social skills
- Anger Management
Children may join Owl Group for a short period or work with Mrs Gee over a longer time, as is appropriate for each child.
In Owl Group we follow the Nurture Group Principles:-
- Owl Group is a safe place.
- All behaviour is seen as communication.
- Transitions and major family events are significant in the lives of children.
- Nurture is important for the development of self- esteem.
- Children’s learning is understood developmentally.
Within the group each child’s needs may be varied – but they share a need for a nurturing experience. The group provides consistency in the form of routine, staffing, expectations and repetition – reinforcing positive relationships with peers and adults.
Mrs Gee also runs a drop-in session twice a week at lunchtime, open to any children in school who may want the opportunity to talk through any worries or concerns they may have.